Still Penniless

December 11, 2021

And now people ask me for Christmas tips like if I had enough money to tip them all. How can I be generous when I am penniless?
Seriously, I’m this close to start crying at the street market.

And even when no one asks me anything, they put their giant box wrapped with the kind of paper people use for the presents they are going to give (do you understand what I’m trying to describe?), making it clear that I’m supposed to give them a Christmas tip.

It makes me feel bad, you know, not being able to give them anything now. They are hard workers, they treat me well, and they have no fault if in my 30’s I’m a total loser who doesn't have two bucks to  tip in.

Now we are on December 11, and at every moment Christmas gets closer, the worst the situation gets. I might as well not leave my house until December 26.
And it’s not like if I don’t want to give Christmas tips, please don’t take me wrong. I just don’t have money, any.
(am I saying “Christmas tip” right?)

I’m well aware, indeed, that being in this situation is only my fault - and not because in Brazil children take infinitely to grow up.
So please, take my example and don’t quit your job for thinking you’re too good for it, or because you only have the hope to find a better one.

Otherwise you’ll live by hope only, and that doesn't put food on your table.


Anne Rios - Brazilian girl writing about Brazilian things
(diceraland@gmail.com)

0 comments

be messy <3