Perks of Speaking English

September 27, 2022

This September 13th I was able to start reading the book The Ballad of Never After, the sequel of the cutest book ever written, Once Upon a Broken Heart. And just before that, on August 30th, I started reading The Ink Black Heart, the sixth book in the ‘Cameron’ Strike detective series.

Facts that were only possible because I speak English. 

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the internet that puts us together is the same internet that breaks us apart. The content is there, the information is there, everything nowadays is there. But in English.

Since the Soviet Union ceased to exist, all important documents, and all that that is necessary to be shared to the world is done in English - it’s not worth crying for that, padawan. Since man began living in society, only one language has been used for general communication.

Latin had been in this position, and so had French. And now, because the US is currently the most powerful nation in the world, English is used to this end.

Although I must say that the luck that I have for reading those two books I so much wished for is not because English is the language used for global communication, but because they were written in English - that is a tremendous coincidence, I admit. 

Can you imagine, the two books I most wanted to read this year were written in the language everybody needs to speak?

 
Anne Rios - Brazilian girl writing about Brazilians things
(amodafala@gmail.com)

0 comments

be messy <3